Weblin - a 3D Chat overlay for your browser
Just after writing about Myrl, a new website offering a gateway to many different worlds, I read an interesting story by Vint Falken on Weblin, which tries to bring 3D to the web as well.
If I remember correctly, weblin used to advertise with ‘bringing the virtual world to the web’ … or something like that. Weblin - by Zeitgeist - ’s far from a virtual world (yet), but the concept of layering the avatar on top of normal websites is surely fascinating and well executed:
- You have a cute little avie that is customisable using the ‘avatar creation kit’.(takes 100×100px animated gif up to 50kb).
- It has a ‘monetary value’, named ‘Kala’ that is described as ‘the virtual weblin currency’. (Purchasing those is not yet possible. You receive 150 Kala (Kalas?) on start.)
- Weblin points. You get those as a reward for activity. Use them to unlock features & avatars.
- Contact list. See which of your befriended weblins are currently online.
- Mute button. Always handy! ;)
- Private chat. Duh!
- Integration with del.icou.us, twitter, stumble upon and even a self hosted WP install.
- Dating. As you’re on the same wegpage, you’ll surely have the same interests? What I love about this one is that weblin Flirt is standard disabled. So they don’t bother you with it unless you do state you’re looking for a relationship.
- Basic animations: jump, dance, wave and even better… decline/refuse.